The fire that razed over 120 shops at the Daleko Market in Mushin area of Lagos, on Sunday, was caused by electrical surge from one of the shops at groundnut oil and palm oil section.
The fire which had already destroyed goods and properties worth millions of naira was put out by fire fighters from Isolo, Ilupeju and Ikeja fire service stations.
It was gathered that the market would have been completely razed by the ravaging fire if not for the swift arrival of the fire men who prevented it from spreading further.
Siminsola, a resident of the area who spoke to newsmen said: "it was a big fire incident and we (the residents) were very apprehensive".
He said one of the security men at the market noticed a thick smoke and fire coming out from the palm oil and groundnut oil section and quickly mobilised others, but were subdued as the fire grew wilder.
Responding, Rasak Fadipe, the director of the state fire service ordered a complete change of the electrical installations at some of the markets in the state, saying fire incidents at markets is becoming too alarming.
Fadipe confirmed that 120 shops and thousands of Jerry cans of groundnut oil and palm oil were completely destroyed in the fire incident which started from power surge in one of the shops.